Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Is Normal Just a Setting on the Dryer?





Is normal just a setting on a dryer?  I have often repeated this quote and when it comes to talking about my menstrual cycle (and all other symptoms of PCOS), the word "normal" is never associated.  I have only kept track of my cycle for the past seven years and it has been anything but "normal".  Some months it is 36 days ...maybe 33...an occasional 35...sometimes none at all...but never anything consistent.  Each month I never know the day it might show up.  I usually have "clues" but never anything concrete.  I would often read about a cycle being 28 days and think, "Does this really happen?  Is this really true?!"  I have recently begun asking my friends how long their cycles are and to my shock most of them say 28 (sometimes 29 or 30) days.  But what is even more shocking is that whatever day they start on (day 28, 29 or 30) it is the same each month.  How unfair is this?!?!

Throughout the past couple of months I have become fed up with the devil's lies and I have decided that I REFUSE to let him "camp" out in my thoughts, words, and body any longer.  God has given me the authority to trample on him and I wasn't going to waste this precious gift. (Luke 10:19 says, "I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.")  Therefore, I have been picking out symptoms of my PCOS and speaking God's Word over my body and to the devil.  I know if I resist the devil he will flee.

The first symptom of PCOS I began fighting the devil was my excessive sweating.  Such an embarrassing symptom.  Several weeks ago I was in Wal-Mart looking at the clinical strength deodorant because my brother was having an outside wedding and I just KNEW I was going to need something a little bit stronger :).  I had tried it before and it didn't seem to work or be worth the money but I was desperate again and thought maybe they made it better...?  But a small box cost almost $15!  Crazyness!!  I don't work (by choice) so this expensive deodorant was NOT in the budget and the regular deodorant was only $4 (budget friendly).  I stood there in the aisle and literally prayed for financial blessings in order to be able to start affording the expensive deodorant...but God quietly whispered, "Why don't you ask me to heal you of your excessive sweating?"  God didn't want me to "mask" my symptoms but He wanted it completely eliminated.  My excessive sweating bothered Him as much as it did me.  I know this because He didn't create me to be like this and He cares about the things that bothers me.  He is a loving father.  What good earthly father enjoys watching their children suffer?  After letting all this "go around the track" in my mind a couple of times I decided to put the clinical deodorant back on the shelf and I replaced it with my normal $4 Secret deodorant.  From that moment on I decided to make a conscious effort to no longer dwell, worry, or stress about my sweating because I asked God for healing and I knew He had heard my request.  Up until that day I only complained about it but never sought after the solution (Jesus).  I am happy to report that I rarely sweat for no apparent reason  (other than being in 100 degree weather) and I no longer worry if my t-shirt is soaked when I raise my arms.

After this small victory I started concentrating on the annoying and crazy amount of thick, course, dark hairs on my chin.  I would spend entirely TOO much time plucking out and worrying over each and every one of them every day.  (see previous blog called "The Hair on My Chinny Chin Chin" http://holdingontothepromisesandexpectations.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-hair-on-my-chinny-chin-chin.html)

I am happy to report I pull out MAYBE 2-4 hair each morning/night.  This a HUGE improvement from the 12-15 I would find each day.  I no longer stop by the mirror several times a day and leave feeling awful about my appearance.

But while I have been concentrating on my outward appearance it seems as though Daniel, my wonderful husband, has been focusing on my "insides".  Daniel has been praying for me to have a "normal" 28 day cycle just as God created.  I actually did not know he had been praying this specific prayer until this week.  I am sure if he had told me I would have laughed.  28 days?!  Me?! Pffft!  I would have probably sarcastically said..."Keep praying sweetie!"  Which is weird considering I have seen so many small victories already. 

But I have tears in my eyes as I type this because Monday (July 8th) I started my cycle--which made a 29 day cycle!!  Daniel had the faith to believe and pray for this--I hadn't even prayed this request yet because I doubted it when I tried to pray in faith for it.  I knew that if I was double minded then I wouldn't receive so what was the point in praying for a "normal" cycle.  I had prayed a couple of cycles ago for a 28 day cycle and it lasted 36 so I gave up.  :(

But the prayers of the righteous are mighty!  James 5:16 (NIV) says this, "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

Thank you Daniel for the hope and faith you had to not waver and to believe that if you asked for me to have a 28 day cycle then I would.

Starting my cycle this month was better than getting pregnant (GASP!).  Why?!?  I know that God loves a process.  Look at how plants grow?  Babies are created?  Relationships are formed? Healing is also a process.  Yes, there are miracles but most healings/breakthroughs go through a season of a growth/changing process before suddenly the breakthrough happens.  If I receive what I want immediately then I wouldn't have the opportunity to have my hope and faith in God strengthened.  Romans 8:28 states, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Also, as the 'leader' of H.O.P.E., I know that if I didn't have to wait, and I received my healing/baby/breakthrough immediately, then everyone attending the support group/following the blog/facebook page would expect the same quick fixes.  If the quick fix didn't happen for them then they would lose hope and give up; therefore never receiving all that God has for them.  I love being an example of how God works.

I encourage you to always look for successes as you wait for your breakthrough.  God is always wanting to show himself strong...but are you seeking Him and are you praising Him for the little things along the way?  If you are following this blog or attend the support/encouragement meetings and can think of even the "tiniest" success along your journey then please share it with me.  Send me a private message on the Hope facebook page.  Your testimony (no matter how big or small) could help encourage someone else.


"Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; 
make known among the nations what he has done.  
Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts, 
Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice." 
1 Chronicles 16:8-10

Before I end, I also want to point out that God does NOT show favoritism!  Romans 2:11 even says, "For God does not show favoritism".  What He has done for me over the last several months He wants to do for you too!  Have hope, wait expectantly, and exercise your faith.  Faith is believing even when we don't see it...

Below is a link the H.O.P.E. facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/HOPE/434401456655733?ref=br_tf


No comments:

Post a Comment